What are LIFE Groups?
- They are not just Small Groups, though they will primarily be small in number.
- They are not just Connection Communities, though real-life connection will happen.
- They are not just Bible Studies, though the Word of God will be manifested.
- They are not just Home Groups, though many will meet in homes.
- They are not just Sharing Groups, though sharing life with each other is a must.
- They are not just Recovery Groups, though restoration will occur.
- They are not just Serving Groups, though serving the community will be a key component.
What happens in life groups stays in life groups
Why LIFE Groups?
We want to see all who belong to the St. John family experience the fullness of Community in Following God, Sharing Life, and Loving Neighbor. We also believe that Life Groups are the most efficient way that we can live out these aspects of walking as disciples. Within these groups we will be connecting, sharing, and loving in gospel-centered community.
- Eat: Acts 2:42 “and they devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to the prayers.”
- Meet: Hebrews 10:24-25 “and let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deed, not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the day drawing near.”
- Testify 1 Corinthians 12:26 “If one member suffers, all suffer together; if one member is honored, all rejoice together.”
- Pray: Job 42:10 “And the Lord restored the fortunes of Job, when he had prayed for his friends. And the Lord gave Job twice as much as he had before.”
- Encourage: 1 Thessalonians 5:11 “Therefore encouraged one another and build one another up, just as you are doing.”
- Listen: James 1:19 “Know this, my beloved brothers: Let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger.”
- Bless: Matthew 5:16 “In the same way, let your light before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.”
- Serve: Matthew 25:40 “The king will reply, “Truly I tell you, whatever you do for one of the least of these my brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.”
- Equip: 2 Timothy 1:5 “I call to remembrance the genuine faith that is in you, which dwelt in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice, and I am persuaded is in you also.”
Discovery Bible Study in the context of LIFE Groups
Discovery Bible Study (DBS) is a discipleship study which enables all participants to read the Bible and discover what it has to say to them. There are four simple and memorable questions which direct people to look at the character of God, themselves, and encourages them to obey what they are learning, and hold one another accountable.
how does dbs work?
DBS works because of it simplicity, ease to model and teach, and little prep time required by facilitators. All this means that Discovery Bible Study is reproducible - Everyone can be a facilitator!
Although this type of study is simple, that does not mean it is not profound and powerful.